Thursday, May 26, 2011

Excellent Safeway Shopping Day!

Sunday I went and got my papers only to find no coupons in one. Only a few in the other. Bummer. I spent money to get nothing. I hadn't yet signed up for the papers to be delivered, but I did do that later in the week and there was a special going on for one of them, so I'm glad I waited!

My daughter's 1st birthday party is this weekend, so I looked though my coupons and local store sale fliers, then came up with a menu somewhat based on them. Safeway seemed to have the best sale going on, lots of buy one get ones on things I could use. I signed up for the Just for U program with Safeway online and got coupons, promo prices on certain items, and I could load the savings onto my store card, so I didn't have to carry in paper coupons. I printed a list which included all the coupons I had loaded to my card, the items I wanted with Just for U promo prices, and regular card holder discounted items. Everything was listed by category (ie, dairy, bakery, etc) It included the expiration dates, which I thought was great! I earned a free carton of eggs, and I thought great, I just bought a huge carton at Costco, but then noticed I have till Aug to pick them up for free! And all I will have to do is show my store card. woohoo!

I paper clipped my manufacture coupons that matched up with some of the sale items on my list (I really didn't have many) to my list and sale flier. I tried to search online, but couldn't find any more that I could use. But then I decided I had better read Safeway's coupon policy and found out you can use manufacture coupons along with store coupons, but not multiple manufacture coupons. Also If you get an item free, you can't use a coupon on it. So I was bumbed about that. I didn't think I could save as much at this store if I had a serious pile of coupons, but I only had a few and had already planned my trip.

I began to look up prices online, but it took way to long to find the first two, only because I have slow DSL and I had to look them up one by one. Maybe there's another way, but I don't yet know it! So I gave up & decided I would get what I need regardless of cost. I have a party to plan and a baby who could only stay ready to go for so long! My son was staying home with Daddy this time so I could concentrate!

Off we went. I had my flier with circled items, my coupons, my coupon book in my purse (which is just a tiny wallet size thing as I just started this adventure) in case I came across something I had a coupon for that I had overlooked, and my printed list of items, with the remainder of items written on it that were not on sale, but I had to have.

The printed list was so helpful since it was categorized and I didn't have to search around like I usually do on my handwritten shopping lists! I found even more items that were buy one get one, such as pickles! I had to get a different brand than usual & they were sliced, not whole, but it was on sale & one was free! How could I pass that up! Soon enough my cart was filled to the brim, hard to push, and I was trying to peer over the huge infant car seat where my daughter sat. Luckily she was being very well behaved and we were both in a good mood!

I left off a few things that I had safeway coupons for that were still a bit costly even with $1 off, but I did get everything I needed for the party, my regular groceries for all my meals and snacks at home, and lots of freebies to stock up for later use! I was nervous about the total price, though. I did not have more than $200 in the bank and was hoping for closer to $150 for everything. Normally my shopping budget would be about $60-$80, but this was including a party, too!

I headed to the cashier and loaded the biggest haul I'd had in a very long time, maybe ever! The total came to $244.91! Aack! I handed over my club card and enjoyed the "bing, bing, bing" of prices dropping! Like a slot machine pouring out the cash! I gave her my few extra coupons and the total was now $157.92. A tad more than I wanted, but I could definitely live with that! I paid and she gave me my receipt, including a coupon for Gerber baby food for $1 off! I had just bought some for .99 so I wanted to run back and get one more, since it would be free! But it wasn't worth it for just one thing, so I moved out of the way to go over my list.

All the coupons and promo prices I had loaded to my card were applied! Except, the boxes of soda were on sale for buy 2 get 2 free + 2 free boxes of Nabisco crackers. I was charged $2.50 for each box of crackers. I went to the customer service desk and had to wait for someone, but it didn't take long. After verifying she gave my $5 cash! Just like that! I went back and got creem cheese, which I had forgotten, and my son can't live without! I planned to get that free baby food, too, which would even earn me 1 cent with the coupon I just got, but I was tired and forgot.
I loaded my haul in the car and still can't believe I just got $91.99 worth of groceries for Free!! All stuff I needed or will need in the near future!

Did I save money? Yes! And have begun a stock pile of meat in the freezer, and cereal, crackers, condiments, sauces, etc in the pantry, so it will save us even more in the future! Without coupons and looking for sales & promo prices ahead of time, I would have gotten a very few things, probably a few that were on sale as I saw them in the store, but would have had to make do with a lot less in our kitchen and for the party! I am ecstatic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...