Thursday, May 19, 2011

Week 1 of Couponing

Where to start? It seems to me, from what I've gleaned from the Extreme Couponing show on TLC (I'm not an avid watcher, but have seen two or three episodes), in order to save the most, you need multiple coupons for one item and the item needs to be on sale. I don't have room to stock up like they do, but maybe I could get a few if I have enough coupons for the same item.

First step: I need coupons! I don't get the paper, but I do get the Smart Saver coupons in the mail. I normally toss them in the recycle bin without hardly looking at them, but not this time! I saved them. I also went and bought three Sunday newspapers! Wow, didn't know they cost so much now. I'll have to look into a subscription, but I really don't want a whole paper, just for the inserts. Maybe I can find someone who doesn't use them to let me have the inserts...

For this to work I've realized I need to not be choosy about brands. If I can find deoderant coupons and find it for sale, I should use them. I'll have deoderant, though it's not the brand I'm used to buying.  I cut out all the coupons I found that I could possibly use and for now threw them in a little box. Not the best idea, but I'm not going to buy a bunch of organizational stuff for this project till I know it's worth it!

Next: I browsed online to get advice. The first useful sites I came to were: http://www.weusecoupons.com/ and http://www.myfrugaladventures.com/ . I found they do matchups for you so you don't have to search every add to match up your coupons, they tell you where to find coupons, info on store policies, and tons of other great advice! I'll be going back again and again to these sites!

I need more coupons, so I created a new email account just for couponing. I then signed up with some coupons sites: http://www.coupons.com/, http://www.couponnetwork.com/, http://www.shopathome.com/, all my local stores and drug store (they'll email me coupons & deals, plus I made sure I had a store card for each). I signed up for a few brands I use regularly, such as http://www.generalmills.com/, http://www.kellogs.com/, and  http://www.earthsbest.com/.

This is just scratching the surface. The wheels in my head are now turning of all the places I can sign up & get coupons & deals from! But this is more than enough for now. I shouldn't overwhelm myself with emails!! If I haven't already! I can see how this can get addicting. I've begun to dream of coupons and I haven't even had my first shopping trip! Oh no, maybe I will become the that crazy coupon lady?! I even asked my husband if he would be embarrased if I did, and he said no, he thinks it's great if we're saving money. Yay for a supportive husband!

I can also see how this can get some people into trouble. You see all the great deals and want to jump on them while you can! Luckly I am the type of person who sticks to my list and always just get what I need. I won't get carried away buying just because it's on sale.

I don't need a lot right now because I just spent my grocery budget at Costco, but some things I still need that I couldn't get there, or didn't want in bulk.

I looked through the store sales flyers that were in the paper or came in the mail. This is a first for me! I found quite a few things on the Rite Aid flyer for sale that I needed and also that matched up with my coupons! The cereal prices were awesome, 2 for $4.88 (with your Wellness+ card) for certain brands and they were even some I liked! Even without a coupon that's a great deal! I searched online for more coupons and found some for what I wanted and printed them out.

MY MISSION: match up coupons for things I need or will use in the near future with the sale items at Rite Aid this week. Currently I need cereal, deoderant, Shout stain remover (some things I will not sacrifice for other brands!), diaper cream, toothpaste, and toothbrushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...